One of the core pillars of Data-Centric Security is the User Identity – access to information, granular permissions, and control are all applicable to an identified user or a group. User identity also helps to know “who” has accessed the authorized information. Data-centric security focuses a lot on “who” should be accessing secure information. As a result, the underlying security system federates the user identity and the organization’s Identity management system for quick verification. But what makes 2-Factor Authentication so crucial to managing user identity?
Why 2-Factor Authentication for Robust Identity Management?
Collaboration with partners, outsourced vendors, professionals, and consultants requires enhanced identity management. Enterprises use Seclore’s Identity Management system (SIM) for Users Identity and Access Management, especially for External User Management. Some enterprises also use SIM for Internal User Management. Organizations not following the compliance requirements and implement privacy protection can pay hefty fines for non-compliance.
But what makes 2-Factor Authentication so crucial to managing user identity?
When it comes to protection and authentication, a username and password provide the only basic level of protection, and brute force attacks can easily break this system down. Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) tightens the security setup to a more stringent level to discourage further brute attacks and hacking instances.
With the help of 2FA, one can block unauthorized entries into the systems by providing a secret code such as a One-Time Password (OTP) or a biometric factor to ensure that the password is genuine. Some other forms of authentication factors include possession factors (such as a unique ID, security tokens, etc.), location factor (geographic location of user or device), and time factor (limited time to access the login window urging the user to take quick action).
Seclore Identity Management (SIM) and 2-Factor Authentication
Seclore Identity Management (SIM) integrates seamlessly with an organization’s existing Identity Management system. This allows the existing users and administrators to continue with the current processes and reap the benefits of an elevated level of security. SIM allows internal and external users to authenticate with various identity federation systems such as Google and Microsoft Azure.
The introduction of 2FA in SIM allows Seclore to help organizations strengthen their identity security for external user management and internal user management wherever applicable. For example, a user can log in with their Google or Microsoft IDs into the SIM. Once the first level of security is cleared, the SIM then rechecks the user authenticity by sending a Time-based OTP (TOTP). Entering this OTP within the given time limit authenticates the user’s identity, allowing them to view the information as per their access levels.
Many TOTP applications prove useful here, such as Microsoft Authenticator, Google Authenticator, Authy, etc.
Top 3 Benefits of Using 2-Factor Authentication
Clearly, Two-Factor Authentication is the way to go – it protects the data from getting attacked and deters hackers from stealing information. It also protects information even when it has been exposed erroneously without malicious intent.
But will it create a tangible change in your enterprise’s overall working scenario? Yes, it will, and here’s how:
- Compliance Adherence
- There are many verticals whose successful operation depends on the careful handling of highly classified information, such as the Payment Card Industry (PCI), Pharmaceutical Sector, Banking sector, etc. Two-Factor authentication fits well into the PCI-DSS and HIPAA guidelines designed to ensure that private information such as card numbers and health records are handled in a secure environment. This also reduces the chances of data breaches and discourages hackers from launching brute attacks on your enterprise information systems.
- Improvement in Productivity
- 2FA provides tighter security to the information within the entire enterprise. This allows you as an enterprise to permit your employees to work remotely from any environment. When your employees can work comfortably from a location of their choice, it significantly boosts their productivity.
- Better Customer Reputation
- 2FA makes your enterprise a secure environment to handle customer information. This increases the trust level among the customers, even if they must spend more time and effort providing more information for authentication. It provides a sense of comfort among the customers and allows them to appreciate the effort you are putting in ensuring that their data is secure. Result? Higher customer retention and improved business.
To know more, please contact info(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)seclore.com